Expert Boot Fitting
There is no piece of ski equipment more important than your boots. Boots are the critical link between skier, skis and snow. Your boots can make or break your ski experience, yet the vast majority of recreational skiers are given little guidance and make choices they later regret. There are three primary advantages of custom-fitted ski boots:
Better Skiing: You will actually turn better, have more control, and be a better skier than you were before you first put your new boots on. Who doesn’t want that?
Better Comfort: This is not just a matter of luxury. Better comfort has concrete advantages besides how your feet feel. It directly translates to less fatigue, which means more runs, better skiing, and less soreness at the end of the day. It is especially important to anyone with uniquely shaped feet, ankles, or lower legs.
Warmth: So many skiers complain about cold toes that it has become almost accepted as part of the sport – but it does not have to be. Custom-fitted boots are actually warmer because the blood supply to the feet is not constricted, as it often is in off-the-rack boots.
Salter’s Ski Shop has become synonymous with expert boot fitting and custom orthotics. Our veteran boot fitters, professionally trained in the anatomy and biomechanics of the foot, have over 120 years of combined experience. Your boot-fitter will evaluate over forty elements related to skiing ability and the anatomy of your feet, ankles and lower legs. This data will be used to match you to the correct boot, boot size, and boot last.
Head, Fischer, and Dalbello alpine boots
Flow and K2 snowboard boots
Custom snowboard insoles
Our friends in the ski industry say we're crazy for spending so much time working with customers. However, it requires time to obtain the best possible fit; both yours and ours. Having happy and comfortable repeat customers is our lone objective. We have helped thousands of people with thousands of different feet including professional skiers and folks with challenging medical conditions. To learn more about our bootfitters and our approach to finding the perfect fit for our customers, follow the link to our recent blog post on The Bootfitters.
For your convenience we’ve added the option to schedule your boot-fitting session in advance during non-peak hours. Just call the shop at 610-539-8003 to book a time.
We also offer boot fitting services to consumers with boot issues who did not originally purchase their boots at Salter's. These services are billed at $100 per hour with a half hour minimum.
1. Everybody’s feet are different. Boot models fit differently. Don’t take friends, relatives or even your spouse’s recommendations on what boot to buy just because it works for them. Everyone’s feet are unique and what is perfect for one skier can be torture for another. Our expert boot fitters will steer you into the options that are best for you.
2. Don’t dismiss custom ski orthotics as a luxury add-on. They are often as important (and maybe more so) as the boot choice itself. A properly molded and finished orthotic holds the foot in a stable position while eliminating movement and abrasion. It is the foundation that the house of skiing is built upon. Once you have experienced skiing with a well-made custom foot bed, you never ski without them.
3. Allocate enough time. You don’t want to rush the process. Choosing the correct boot, getting fit and making orthotics takes time. Allow yourself an hour and a half for a proper fitting. The investment of a little time pays back dramatically in comfort and skiing pleasure.
4. One of the most important things you can count on is our team of helpful, experienced, and empathetic boot fitters. There are literally hundreds of boot models out there and you don’t want to waste time on a bunch of inappropriate models. Our boot staff will be able to narrow the field down to a few models that are best for your foot and performance needs.
5. Rethink an on- line purchase. When you buy boots at our store, we discount orthotics and all fit work is free for a year with our fit guarantee. Our boot staff invests significant time and money in training, trouble shooting and ensuring that inventory is always stocked to give you the best options for your foot anatomy. Remember that you are not only buying a boot but also buying a service guarantee that extends beyond your initial purchase. Consider the additional cost to get on-line boots modified. Support your local boot fitting expert and your feet will have a friend for life.